Essential Oil Safety
Essential oils are very safe when used responsibly, but you actually have to know what responsible is! If you look online... that can be confusing and that makes most of us tend to fall into two extreme camps
- TYPE 1: OMG. These may kill me. I must follow every recipe exactly as written or else I may explode.
- TYPE 2: Essential oils EVERYWHERE! Put some over here. This looks like it needs some. Heck, I'll just throw it in the air. Weeeeee!
The truth is that there is a really fun middle area that is much safer and really easy to find, but you need to know the rules!
Essential Oils Rules
- Never put essential oils directly in your eyes or ears
- Always dilute essential oils with a carrier oil (If you don't know what this is, stay calm! It's our next lesson!)
- If it burns-- add more carrier oil.
- Children need smaller doses than adults (see kid lesson).
- Don't claim that essential oils can cure cancer, ebola, stupidity or anything else.That's not safe for you or the person you're playing doctor to!
- Always listen to your body. If it's not working-- try something else.
Essential Oils Detox Reaction
Some people who have never detoxed their bodies before, eat a lot of processed foods, use many retail products or have higher exposures to chemicals may experience a detox reaction.
These detox reactions will most often look like rashes or feel like a headache. There are many types of detox reactions so there is no cookie cutter explanation. However, if you feel like you may be detoxing here are some tips...
- Stop using the essential oil for a week or two.
- Reintroduce it by using a much more diluted version at first.
- Slowly increase the strength of the mixture over the course of several weeks
Enjoy your essential oils! They are amazing, fun and they can do just about anything! Just be sure to use them responsibly. You know, don't drink the entire bottle while you read this e-course or pour it in your eye.
You're smarter than that.